Earth Culture Dancer Daniel Llanes
As Earth Culture Dancer, Daniel Llanes is an Austin-based performance artist and arts educator, specializing in dance, music & poetry. A prolific writer, choreographer and composer, his original offerings are produced live in a variety of venues ranging from one-man shows and exhibits to ensemble, multi-disciplinary productions. Mr. Llanes is the Chair of River Bluff Neighborhood Association and is a member of the Austin Neighborhoods Council Executive Committee. He is a PODERista, an active member of the Raza Roundtable and the Undoing Racism Austin Collective. Mr. Llanes was declared “Activist of the Year” by NOKOA newspaper in 1991, and in 2007 was one of the first in Austin to receive the Cesar Chavez “Si Se Puede” Award. August 6th, 2015 was proclaimed by the Mayor of Austin to be “Daniel Llanes Day” in appreciation of his contributions to the city.
Brought to you by Earth Culture Dancer
Prayer to the Four Directions
Earth Day Festival would not be the same without the opening ceremony to the Four Directions. Daniel Llanes and Susana Almanza will conduct the traditional prayer to the Four Directions to bring blessing and intention to the Earth Day Festival. The ceremony is a contemporary manifestation of a traditional ceremony rooted in Mezo-American tradition that has been done in this area for over 1000 years. It is an honor and call to the elements, of which we are all a part.
Brought to you by PODER
[A Musician with a Message]
- After being named 2017 Austinite of the Year, SaulPaul began 2018 with his song Rise (Remix) topping the charts and becoming one of the #1 songs on Sirius XM radio.
- For over a decade SaulPaul has earned an international reputation as a “Musician with a Message” known for entertaining and inspiring audiences across the world. He’s performed 2 TED talks as well as some of the world’s most esteemed music festivals. He has collaborated with artists from around the world and has also been featured on MTV, LA TIMES, ESPN Radio and countless other media outlets.
- Part rapper/part singer songwriter, SaulPaul is an entertaining artist who blends his voice, his guitar and his loop pedal to create a live show that is nothing less than an EXPERIENCE.
- Alexia Finney is a singer/songwriter from Austin, Texas with a big smile, a big voice, and a whole lot of heart.
- Featured on chart topping #1 song in 2017 at age 11
SaulPaul All Stars
- For over a decade SaulPaul has earned a reputation as a Musician with a Message known for entertaining & inspiring audiences across the world. As SaulPaul's musical influence & platform grew, so did his desire to showcase young talented artists, so in 2018 he created the SaulPaul All Stars. Since their launch they have performed at festivals like Austin City Limits, at shows in NYC, on stages in front of crowds of 8,000+ and featured on projects with Grammy Award winning artists.
- The SaulPaul All Stars’ are featured on the interludes, singing the hooks, rapping the verses and chanting and performing the choral parts on the award winning album, All Star Anthems.
-More than a band, the SaulPaul All Stars are a collective of young stars. Alexia, while only 11 at the time, was featured on the #1 chart topping song, Rise Remix. Lil Mike, 12, has not only penned verses for songs but has been featured in major motion pictures.Mia, 11, sings beautifully in English & Spanish and was recently named Best New Female Artist at the 2018 Tejano Music Awards.
- 2018 New Artist of the Year Award Winner
- As of eight years of age, her first recorded single and music video is a cover of the Nicky Jam/Enrique Iglesias song “El Perdon.” This video currently has over 361,000 views on YouTube and has gained Internet and terrestrial radio airplay. Mias YouTube channel currently has 1.2 million views.
- Her latest achievement was being nominated and ultimately winning a Tejano Music Award for “Best New Artist – Female”, making her the youngest to ever win. This has also garnered her international attention from networks such as Univision and Telemundo.
- Mia received a proclamation of “Mia Garcia Day” in Austin, TX on October 5th, 2017 along with being recognized by the governor of Texas and First Lady.
[EDM DJ Artist]
- Specializing in bringing energy and fun without compromising your character.
- Having written 50+ Hip-Hop songs, performed at SXSW, opened for nationally signed artists and recorded 4 albums as an independent artist. He has used music as a tool to reach the next generation and to teach them that you are what you eat.
- Leti Garza, formerly known as Leticia Rodriguez Garza, is “found in translation.” She uncovers artifacts of her rich cultural and linguistic heritage, reclaims them, and translates these discoveries for her global audience.
- La Americana, Leti’s 2012 debut album, pays tribute to the music of her aunt and Latin composers of the ‘40s and ‘50s. Praised critically for presenting retro-vogue Latin classics, La Americana was played on the nationally-syndicated radio program Undercurrents, featured on Public Radio International’s The World, and was on the ballot for Best Tropical Latin Album in the 55th Grammy Awards. On the heels of her celebrated debut, Leti released her subsequent EP, Sagüita Al Bate, to even greater critical success. Sagüita Al Bate was under consideration in the 57th Grammy Awards for Record of the Year in 2014, and was played by key tastemaker stations KEXP, KUTX, WBEZ, WRUV, and more, launching it into the top ten most-played world music releases in the College Music Journal charts for two weeks.
-Singer-songwriter Caitlin Zinda has cultivated a sound both playfully fresh and wholly organic to Austin’s eclectic indie music landscape. Caitlin hails from East Texas, where some of her earliest memories are of her mother playing the piano late into the night. Music announced itself early as Caitlin’s calling: at the age of nine she followed her mother to the piano; by ten she was writing her own songs. During a difficult adolescence Caitlin found solace in music as a vital escape from the pain of growing up, and a way to translate that pain into something beautiful and worthwhile. She continued playing piano and writing music after moving to Austin in June 2014. Among her influences she cites Florence Welch, Alanis Morissette, and The Cranberries’ Dolores O’Riordan, women rockers whose larger-than-life personas belie the emotional rawness of their lyrics.
- SierraShanté is a singer-songwriter, choreographer-dancer, creative director, talent development coach, model and entrepreneur. SierraShanté is someone who always wanted to be not just a singer but a performing artist that entertains and express her talents with the world in all populations of culture, ethnicities and age.
- Her bodacious performances show that she is a triple threat - as a singer, dancer and actor. Her accomplishments have also been highlighted in the entertainment/music industry. In 2017, she won the Jump On It Ceremony Award. She has performed on stages with SaulPaul and collaborated with groups like The Shining Stars, Dancin’ Jazzy, Soul Tree Collective and other companies and individual artists.
DJR presents the 2019 Earth Day ATX Dance Party!